The 2023 Municipalism Cohort Fellowship is a 12-week online program, beginning on September 16th 2023 and ending December 2nd, that presents radical municipalist theory and practice to grassroots organizers trying to reclaim the right to their cities and self-organize as rebel cities.
Twenty participants will be selected (including small groups in the same location or organization) for the inaugural cohort of the fellowship program. We encourage participants who are already active in movement building — such as mutual aid projects, cooperatives and solidarity economy initiatives, neighborhood and tenant organizing, and reimagining public institutions — to apply.
This cohort fellowship aims to make municipalist approaches and techniques more accessible and present on the ground in North America. Weaving a variety of pedagogical approaches, the seminar will:
- Provide an incubator for critical reflection, applied research, and the sharing of translocal ideas and tactics.
- Network municipalist projects across North America.
- Support skills development (e.g. design thinking and facilitating assemblies)
- Prioritize participants from Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC), working class, immigrant, women, LGBTQIA+ and gender nonconforming, and justice-impacted communities.
- Foster new and original perspectives, bringing municipalism into conversation with grounded movements and struggles.
- Collectively develop a Municipalist Toolkit via participant contributions.
Week 1: September 16th 2023 – Decoding Municipalism
Week 2: Office Hours
Week 3: September 30th – Mapping Local Power
Week 4: Office Hours
Week 5: October 14th – Basebuilding
Week 6: Office Hours
Week 7: October 28th – Popular Assemblies
Week 8: Office Hours
Week 9: November 11th – Pathways to Power
Week 10: Office Hours
Week 11: Holiday
Week 12: December 2nd – Transition to Practice
Alternating Saturdays (odd-numbered weeks) from 5:00 to 7:00 pm ET | 4:00 to 6:00 pm CT | 2:00 to 4:00 pm PT. We may hold office hours on even-numbered weeks, depending on interest and capacity, for participants to ask questions, gain clarification on lecture sessions, and workshop sticky organizing challenges.
The deadline to submit applications through this online form is August 18th 2023 by 11:59 PM ET | 10:59 PM CT | 8:59 PM PT. Applicants will be notified of the results of the selection process on September 8th.
We will hold two 90-minute information sessions on July 21st at 1:00 PM ET/10:00 AM PT or August 13th at 12:30 PM ET/9:30 AM PT where we will share the following:
- Topics and learning objectives of the lecture sessions
- Featured speakers and case studies
- Curriculum design and development with partners
- Evaluation rubric for applicants
- Municipalist Toolkit
Please register to join an information session using this online form and indicate which of the dates you are registering for.
Let’s paint our cities red!